On Saturday, March 25, “Creed III” actor Jonathan Majors was arrested in New York City following an alleged domestic dispute. A statement from the Manhattan District Attorney sent to POPSUGAR on March 28 revealed that the actor was arraigned the following day on misdemeanor charges including assault and aggravated harassment of an unnamed woman.
In another statement sent to POPSUGAR the same day, Majors’s attorney Priya Chaudhry alleged that Majors was the one who had placed the 911 call that led to his arrest. “To set the record straight: As confirmed by one of the woman’s own written statements disavowing her allegations, it is Mr. Majors who called 911 due to concern for her mental health,” Chaudhry wrote.
Majors denies all wrongdoing, per Chaudhry. In addition to laying out the charges, the Manhattan DA’s office stated that an NYC judge released Majors from custody on his own recognizance and granted him a limited order of protection, per Variety.
Chaudhry previously issued a statement to POPSUGAR on March 25 that read, “Jonathan Majors is completely innocent and is provably the victim of an altercation with a woman he knows.” The actor’s criminal defense lawyer added, “We are quickly gathering and presenting evidence to the District Attorney with the expectation that all charges will be dropped imminently.”
Chaudhry also detailed the alleged evidence, which she said includes video footage from the site of the reported incident, testimony from eyewitnesses, and two written statements from the woman recanting the allegations. “All the evidence proves that Mr. Majors is entirely innocent and did not assault her whatsoever,” she claimed in her statement, adding that she believes the charges will soon be dropped and arrests must be made in cases of this nature. “This is the only reason Mr. Majors was arrested,” she said.
The “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” actor is at a busy moment in his career, though according to an April 17 report from Deadline, he’s been dropped by talent manager Entertainment 360, per several sources. PR firm The Lede Company, which represented Majors, also initiated a break from the actor in the last month. Deadline noted that Majors and fashion house Valentino have “mutually agreed” that the actor won’t attend this year’s Met Gala as one of its guests.
On April 18, Deadline confirmed that Majors is no longer starring in “The Man in My Basement,” an adaption of the Walter Mosley novel of the same name, and revealed he has also been removed from consideration for an unannounced Otis Redding biopic. Additionally, an ad campaign for the Texas Rangers starring Majors, which was set to air on April 21st, has also reportedly been pulled. A legal rep for Majors did not immediately respond to POPSUGAR’s request for comment on the news.
As of right now, Majors is still set to star in Marvel’s 2025 film “Avengers: The Kang Dynasty” as Kang the Conquerer and in a bodybuilding drama titled “Magazine Dreams” later this year. He’s also expected to appear in “Loki” season two, as he’s already finished filming.
In the wake of his arrest, the US Army also announced that it pulled its “Be All You Can Be” ad campaign featuring Majors. “The U.S. Army is aware of the arrest of Jonathan Majors and we are deeply concerned by the allegations surrounding his arrest,” Laura DeFrancisco, public affairs chief for the Army Enterprise Marketing Office, said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. “While Mr. Majors is innocent until proven guilty, prudence dictates that we pull our ads until the investigation into these allegations is complete.”
According to The Associated Press, the recruiting ads were set to run again during the NCAA’s Final Four basketball games, leaving the Army to repurpose the spots with existing and unused footage that didn’t include Majors. “We are absolutely able to utilize a majority of what we have invested,” Alex Fink, head of Army marketing, told the outlet in late March. “We think that we’ll have some brand new creative ads in time for the Women’s Final Four on Friday. . . . [W]e have a ton of content to go back to, to create basically new commercials . . . if we need to. The campaign is full steam ahead.”