One year after Australian music legend John Farnham underwent a gruelling 13-hour surgery to remove a tumour for mouth cancer, the singer has revealed he is cancer-free.
In a statement, released on Wednesday evening, the 74-year-old has personally addressed his cancer battle for the first time.
In the statement, Farnham says that in July he was declared cancer free after having been given the “all clear” by his medical team.
Watch the video above.
READ MORE: Serena Williams welcomes second baby
According to the statement, Farnham has been in and out of rehabilitation care which included eight weeks of radiation treatment and supplementary surgical procedures as a result of various complications and issues including infections that presented over the past year.
He said: “I am the luckiest man I know right now. It’s been a year since my first surgery and to be honest I’ve lost count as to how many other procedures there’s been since then.
“I’m sure someone’s kept track of them all – let’s just say, there’s been a few. But, I’m home now and I’m a very grateful and happy man. I’m sitting here in my living room lapping up the attention from my beautiful wife, Jill, my boys Rob and James and my mini Schnauzer, Edmund.”
“It’s only now that I can start to appreciate and comprehend, for myself, how many messages of love and support have been sent to me over the past year. I don’t know what to say, other than thank you so very much. It honestly means the world to me. Thank you to everyone who took the time to write and send a message.”
Farnham also revealed how he intends to celebrate the good news of his recovering health.
“Today is a special day. And I’m going to mark it by having a pizza – because I can! I can’t wait to see what might be next on the menu. Bring on 2024.”
For a daily dose of 9Honey, subscribe to our newsletter here.
The statement concluded with the family thanking “everyone across Australia and the world for the extraordinary amount of generous messages and well wishes.”
The family also thanked the “remarkable” medical staff in Melbourne who looked after Farnham over the last year.
The singer was initially diagnosed with mouth cancer three months after undergoing a surgery to remove a tumour from his mouth.
“Cancer diagnosis is something that so many people face every single day, and countless others have walked this path before me,” Farnham said in a statement shared with Today Entertainment Editor Richard Wilkins at the time.
Farnham’s sons have previously given an update on their father’s health following the spout of medical treatments the singer had undergone in a short period of time.
Speaking to Australian Women’s Weekly, Robert Farnham said:
“You have to keep positive and not get bogged down,” Robert told the publication. “It’s cruel and brutal but they’re the cards you’re dealt in life and cancer doesn’t care who you are.”
Robert said both he and his brother, James Farnham, are “really proud” of their father for his resilience in the face of such a devastating health blow.
At the time, Robert and James insisted that their father and his family had focused on finishing his upcoming biopic, John Farnham: Finding the Voice, which came out in May.